Thursday, October 15, 2009

That’s One Big Donut




I don’t know if everything is bigger in Texas, but I do know one thing that is, and that’s the Texas Donut.

The Texas Donut is only available at the Lone Star Bakery in its Round Rock Donuts store in Round Rock,Texas. The oval shaped donut is a whopping 12 inches long, and about 8 inches wide. It weighs two pounds, is the equivalent of a dozen normal donuts, and contains about 2,300 calories.

Despite its large size, the donut, covered in either regular or chocolate glaze, is light and fluffy and has a fresh and yeasty taste. Because the bakery uses fresh eggs instead of baking powder, the donut has a distinctly yellow, and perhaps, slightly orange color. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m not a fan of either sweet foods or eggs, but, I do make an exception in this case. This donut literally melts in your mouth. This is a good donut; no, it’s a great donut. By the way, before you start assuming things, I did not eat the entire thing by myself, although, I certainly thought about it.

The store opens at 4:00 a.m., and they tell me there is a line to get in at that hour. I’m not often up at that time of the morning, but I can verify that we waited for 15 minutes at the drive-thru at two in the afternoon. The Texas Donut; however, was worth every minute of the wait.

Lone Star Bakery has been around since 1926, and has a wide selection of delicious treats. In addition to the Texas Donut, you can also purchase smaller donuts, kolaches, fritters, muffins, cinnamon rolls, breads, cookies, brownies, pies, cakes, and cupcakes.

The Texas Donut is truly one of a kind. Don’t mess with Texas, at least, not with the Texas Donut!

No comments:

Post a Comment