Friday, November 20, 2009

The “Five And Dime” Is Still Around In The Texas Hill Country


The list reads like a roll call of old friends. At one time, stores like Woolworth’s, S.S. Kresge, McCrory’s, W.T. Grant, J.J. Newberry, and S.H Kress were an important part of the shopping experience in America. From the late 1800’s to well into the second half of the 1900’s, nearly every town had a dime store. Before they finally succumbed to changing times, the stores provided inexpensive merchandise to families across the country. They’re all gone now. And while the so-called dollar stores serve the same purpose in this day and age, they just aren’t the same.

Like many other things in the hill country, which continue to thrive despite ever changing times, there is at least one “dime store” still left. It is Dooley’s 5-10-25¢ Store in Fredericksburg. For those of us who still remember and appreciate the heyday of the dime store, Dooley’s provides a place for us to walk “back into time,” if only for a few moments.

For me, the nostalgic experience began as I stepped onto the wood floors I remember so well. This was a good sign, and was a harbinger of things to come. From the layout of the store, to the merchandise very rarely seen anywhere else, it is a wonderful place to visit, and by far, my favorite store in Fredericksburg.

And, while the prices are very reasonable, they are not what they used to be for a dime store, but, given the intervening years between my fond memories and today, I am forgiving. There is always a price to be paid, I think, for preserving the past. I am one, for sure, who will gladly pay it.

1 comment:

  1. Was just in there on July 2nd. Filled my basket with memories!

    ReplyDelete